This document has been superseded by the second edition, published in 2016
- The purpose of these Guidelines is to provide AOD workers with up-to-date, evidence-based information on the management of comorbid mental health conditions in AOD treatment settings.
- All AOD workers should be “comorbidity informed” – that is, knowledgeable about the symptoms of the common mental health conditions that clients present with and how to manage these symptoms.
- The Guidelines are not a policy directive and are not intended to replace or take precedence over local policies and procedures.
- The Guidelines should be used in conjunction with existing guidelines and disciplinespecific practice standards.
- The Guidelines do not provide formal recommendations, but rather guidance for AOD workers when working with clients who have comorbid mental health conditions.
- The Guidelines are based on the best available evidence and draw upon the experience and knowledge of clinicians, researchers, consumers and carers.