Tuesday, 20 August 2013 - 9:00am to Wednesday, 21 August 2013 - 5:00pm
The aim of this conference is to build networks and share understanding of culturally respected ways of working with Aboriginal men, women, young people and families in a holistic approach that suits rural and remote communities with limited resources.
The conference will focus on the following issues:
• Healing the scars of the past
• Cultural approaches to healing and service deliveries
• Men’s and Women’s business programs and groups
• Family and Young person’s programs
• How to empower Aboriginal workers to lead in our field
The objectives are:
• To build networks among rural and remote Aboriginal drug and alcohol service providers
• To build on the limited knowledge basis of how to work effectively in this service delivery context
• To support rural and remote Aboriginal service providers to analyse and present successful initiatives
• To explore similarities and differences between desert and saltwater cultures and approaches
• To provide rural and remote workers with access to nationally recognised experts in the field
• To build partnerships within the sector
Keynote speakers include:
Mr Scott Wilson, Director of Aboriginal Drug and Alcohol Council (South Australia).
Mr Jack Bulman, CEO of Mibbinbah, Indigenous Men, Health and Indigenous Mens’ spaces.
Mr Jimmy Perry, GradDipIndigH (SubUse), Project Officer, Aboriginal Drug and Alcohol Council (SA) Makin Tracks Project
Prof. Yvonne Cadet-James, Chair of Indigenous Australian Studies, James Cook University
Mr Steve Ella, State Coordinator, NSW Aboriginal Drug and Alcohtol Traineeship Program, Central Coast Local Health District
Please see the event website for complete and up-to-date information.
NDARC conducts research in collaboration with the conference organisers Lyndon Community and the Foundation for Alcohol Research and Education (FARE).
Anyone interested in Aboriginal Health
Batemans Bay, NSW
$110 for one day (conference only) or $220 for two days including conference dinner (incl. GST). More options available.
Sunday, 21 July 2013 - 5pm
Contact for bookings:
email@example.com Or phone Raechel Wallace, Precilla Boota and Joanne Norton-Baker (02 6492 0011) and Lara McLaughlin (02 6361 2300)
Contact for inquiries: