The National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre (NDARC) is a premier research institution in Sydney, Australia and is recognised internationally as a Research Centre of Excellence. The Centre was established at the University of New South Wales (UNSW) in May 1986 and officially opened in November 1987. It is funded by the Australian Government as part of its National Drug Strategy.
The overall mission of NDARC is to conduct and disseminate high quality research and related activities that increases the effectiveness of treatment and other intervention responses to alcohol and other drug related harm.
In order to increase the effectiveness of the Australian treatment response to drug problems four goals need to be met:
- The harms to which treatment should be directed need to be known;
- Effective treatments should be available for responding to these harms;
- Those providing treatment should be aware of which treatments are effective; and
- Those who suffer the harms for which the treatments are intended should be made aware of ways in which to minimise harm, and of the availability of effective forms of treatment.
- To improve our understanding of the nature and extent of alcohol and other drug-related harms to which treatment and other interventions should be directed;
- To increase knowledge on the range and effectiveness of treatment and other interventions aimed at reducing forms of alcohol and other drug related harm;
- To increase knowledge among treatment and intervention providers about which programs are effective and which individuals are most suited to them;
- To increase the community's knowledge of appropriate and effective treatment and other intervention programs for alcohol and drug-related problems.
Strategic Plan 2012 - 2017
This is a living document that will be monitored and regularly reviewed. It reflects the needs and expectations conveyed to us by our staff and stakeholders, including our funders, and aims to guide the activities of the NDARC over the next five years.
The National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre at the University of New South Wales is supported by funding from the Australian Government under the Substance Misuse Prevention and Service Improvements Grants Fund.